Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Sam Side of the Moon

The time has come, Castiel said, for us to see heaven... Well no Castiel never said it but I said I want to see heaven and the Supernatural writers were like 'Yes Kara, Yes we will show you heaven. But because your such a demanding fan I will make it the worst and best episode all at once.'

Stupid Kara. Why must I be so demanding?

So Clearly it was the best and worst episode all wrapped up in a little bow. Unlike a lot of people (well the ones who are so vocal on forums and other outlets) I have really enjoyed this season, sure there have been some episodes that I haven't enjoyed but that comes with every Season... but this Episode is one of the best of the Season - well personally that's what I think.

I have said time and time again, while the overall mythos of the show is important but no where near as important as the character development. The story is about Brothers who have had nothing but shit (not literally of cause) thrown at them. And this episode was heavy with Character Development. And I loved it. Now as this a character based episode I have decided to review something other than the episode.

Now I could review every aspect of this episode and cut it into little pieces but most of it (Mary John and God have all been covered in my theory post here) However lets talk about Sam and Dean.

I am clearly I am a bit more of a Dean fan than I am Sam, but I am not a bias person when it comes to my favourite TV show. I can see the character flaws in both of them but right now I have come to the conclusion that Sam Winchester is the most selfish do-gooder I have ever seen. He thinks he is doing the right thing, for the right reason but I think he lies to himself more than anything. Anyone remember Ruby?

I understand he has had a different version of family than what Dean has but come on. One of your best memories is when you and your dad fight and he tells you never to come back... because that's normal.

Now I know Sam bashing is a common sport in this fandom but after undertaking a Supernatural Marathon I have found myself getting more and more annoyed with Sam.

He, like John, is so driven by impure forces. Now hear me out, John and Sam have both been driven by revenge indulging in secretes and narrow minded tunnel vision. If you compare it to Dean who yes has his fair share of secretes but everything seems to be driven by love of his family. But then again that could be because Dean does have the memories of what family life is like, (crusts being cut off - which By The Way was AWESOME memory) and he can see what its can one day be. For Sam its always been the unattainable dream. A dream that he searched for and had for only a fleeting moment.

That all said and done, why was there no memories of Jessica? Surely he had some fun moments with Dean and John. Maybe it was just where he was in his road, maybe Zach was pulling some strings. So what do you think? Am I being too harsh on Sam? Are his happy memories justified seeing the way he was raised? Was Dean unjustified for being pissed off at Sam's happy memories?

2 comments:

  1. I love you Kara! Spot on!! Totally agree. I don't think you're too harsh on Sam. Like Chuck said, "Sucking demon blood, you gotta know that's wrong." And then Sam said, "He wished to God, he could stop it." Well, he didn't try hard enough, instead of trusting the one he could really count on (ahem.. Dean), he turned to Wooby.

    It's a great drama to watch. But sometimes, I could whack Sam in the head or his sideburns.

    He really needs a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I forgot to add... Plus he really needs to cut his hair. :D

    ReplyDelete